This is concerned with keeping electrical and electronic products out of landfill. Lamps come under Category 5, and have been included since 2019.
If selling to consumers (a distributor in EU speak, but this covers selling through a shop or gallery or craft fair or online or anything else), or manufacturing products for sale (a producer), you need to comply with the WEEE legislation.
There is no minimum level below which you are exempt, so you need to go through the process even if you only produce or sell one lamp a year.


There is no minimum level below which you are exempt, so you need to go through the process even if you only produce one lamp a year. However so long as you produce less than 5 tonnes of lamps a year you will count as a "very small producer", so the requirements are kept very low.
As a producer, you need to register in your own country. If not in the EU, but selling into the EU, you probably need to register in the EU through a company representing you in the EU, and similarly if selling in the UK but not being based in the UK - this would normally be your importer, if you have one.
Once registered as a producer, you can use the WEEE symbol on your products (the crossed out wheelie bin). You also need to make periodic reports on the weight of WEEE products sold.


As a distributor, you need to register in each country that you sell in (whether you are based in the EU or not) - there is no common EU-wide scheme.


In the UK, as a very small producer you can register directly with the Environment Agency, which will deal with registering with the English, Welsh, Scottish or N. Ireland bodies as appropriate: https://npwd.environment-agency.gov.uk. The cost of this is about £30/year.
See here for information on UK producer WEEE requirements: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electrical-and-electronic-equipment-eee-producer-responsibility
As a distributor, the easiest option is to join the Distributor Takeback Scheme (https://dts.valpak.co.uk), which you can do if you only sell online, or if you sell under £100,000 of electrical and electronic items a year. The cost of this is £74/year.
See here for information on UK distributor WEEE requirements: https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities
UK Office for Product Safety and Standards WEEE Page
WEEE guidance: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/regulations-waste-electrical-and-electronic-equipment


As a producer based in the EU, I believe you only need to register in your own country.
However you need to register as a distributor in every country that you sell in to.
Guide to complying with the WEEE directive in the EU, including links to each country's implementation: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/product-requirements/recycling-waste-management/weee-responsibilities/
Overview on WEEE in the EU: https://environment.ec.europa.eu/topics/waste-and-recycling/waste-electrical-and-electronic-equipment-weee_en
WEEE Responsibilities: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/product-requirements/recycling-waste-management/weee-responsibilities/index_en.htm
EU FAQ on WEEE: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/pdf/waste/weee/faq.pdf



Creative Commons Licence
Tim Thornton Ceramics Technical by Tim Thornton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://tim-thornton.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Licence.
If you re-use any material from this web site, you must include an attribution statement as described in the licence, and state if the work has been altered.

You may release work that modifies or builds upon this work only under the same licence (or a compatable one, as defined in the licence).

This licence does not permit you to use this work for commercial purposes, i.e. for commercial advantage or monetary gain. If you wish to use the work in this way, please contact us to discuss it. You will need our prior permission and approval to do this.

Whilst we aim to ensure that all material is accurate at the time of publication, we do not accept responsibility for decisions based on information we make available. No content of this site may be taken to be legal or medical advice.

Please bear in mind that materials on the website are the most up to date versions, but items you have downloaded in the past may not be. The materials are updated from time to time. We recommend that you use the latest versions by referring to those published on our website.


Images – Images are not available for re use under the OGL because in most cases copyright is held by a third party. The Council does not grant anyone any rights to re use images.

Use of logos – The use of Tim Thornton’s logos on any document or in association with any information, signifies that the document or information has been prepared or approved by him. The logos are to be used only when reproducing materials unaltered from the web site, to show their original source. If you wish to use the logo in any other way, please contact us first to obtain permission.

Third party intellectual property/copyright – We do not have the legal authority to grant permission to re use documents where legal rights are owned by third parties.

Applications for re-use

If you wish to make a specific application to re use information which does not conform with the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 licence terms, please contact us to ask permission and for details of what, if any, additional conditions and/or charges may apply. Your application should be in writing, specifying your name and address and, identifying the information source you want to re-use and the purpose for re-use.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this website, and every attempt made to present up-to-date and accurate information, we cannot guarantee that inaccuracies will not occur. We will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within these pages.

Links from our site may lead to pages maintained by other organisations. These are provided purely for your convenience, and do not imply that we endorse or support those organisations, the information on their pages, or their products or services in any way. Additionally, no responsibility is assumed by us for the contents of its pages.